Brushing with Braces
When wearing braces, it is even more important to brush and floss daily! We want to keep your teeth and gums healthy during orthodontic treatment. Prior to starting Dr. Vahab will discuss the proper way to brush and floss while wearing braces. Daily brushing and flossing will reduce the risks of cavities, decalcification (white spots), and gingivitis/periodontists (gum disease) during your orthodontic treatment. Patients with poor oral hygiene may require more frequent visits to perform additional check-ups, and/or cleanings with the Pediatric Dentist.
To get started, remove elastics, bands or removable parts or orthodontic appliances.
1. Place your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle against your gumline. Take the brush and sweep or roll away from the gumline.
2. Brush teeth and gums gently in a circular motion.
3. Brush the outer, inner, and chewing surfaces of each tooth and along the gumline.
4. Use the tip of your brush to brush the inner surface of your teeth and gumline using short back-and-forth strokes.
5. Lastly, brush your tongue to remove bacteria and freshen breath.